Dead or Alive by Tom Clancy
I have been reading Tom Clancy’s books since 1984 when he brought out his first book “The Hunt for Red October”, and I was hooked not just on his books but the films made from the books.
I have read all of his 12 Jack Ryan Yarns and found them to be some of the most excellent thrillers yet. Bear in mind Tom Clancy is America’s, and the world’s, much-loved worldwide thriller author, and starting with “The Hunt for Red October”, all thirteen of his previous books have reached number 1 on the New York Times bestseller list, furthermore his books, “The Hunt for Red October”, “Patriot Games”, “Clear and Present Danger”, and “The Sum of All Fears” have been made into major movies.
That is why I am so disappointed in “Dead or Alive” I just couldn’t believe that Tom Clancy was involved in this book at all, I do read some collaborations but with this yarn I just could not find out what the book was really about.
The characters had all the familiar names but the conversation was so wordy that I just gave up, apparently they planned to be looking for somebody called the Emir but it was never explained why or what he was alleged to have done.
I was expecting a huge Tom Clancy story from this book but I found it difficult to keep going and by the third chapter gave up altogether, it just didn’t flow, it wasn’t what I had come to expect from Tom Clancy.
I will always be a fan of his and will always give him a chance with the next book, but “Dead or Alive” was a big disappointment, not what I was expecting, you of course may think differently, let me know what you think!
- Either . . . Dead or Alive (hopeofglory.typepad.com)
- As someone who still likes reading for pleasure on print, Tristram Hunt makes people like me sound very silly. (wewhoareabouttodie.com)
- H.A.W.X. 2 Guns For The Fall, Tom Clancy Pleased [Ubisoft] (kotaku.com)
- “Taking away from the story . . .” (hopeofglory.typepad.com)
- Did Tom Clancy Predict the Osama Raid? (thedailybeast.com)
- Tom Clancy, Dead or Alive (art3867.wordpress.com)